Pulaski on Debating Security Plus conference: Expert Marcin Bużański will chair a session on EU responses to crises in the Neighborhood
As part of the global online brainstorm Debating Security Plus, organised in 26-28 September 2017 by Friends of Europe, the Casimir Pulaski Foundation will host a Rapid Fire Chat titled, “Complimentary or contradictory? EU responses to crises in its broad neighbourhood.”
It is a fully online conference – in order to participate in the panel discussions and Rapid Fire Chats, experts and other persons with interest in security should register using the website https://www.debatingsecurityplus.org/dsplus. Individuals should then click the “Sign Up” hyperlink in the upper-right corner.
The chat system will be launched on the 26th of September, and participants will be able to join specific panels immediately before the discussions begin. The only working language for the conference is English.
The session on Thursday the 28th of September, from 12:00-13:00, will be moderated by Marcin Bużański, the Director of the Peace and Stabilisation Strategies Programme at the Casimir Pulaski Foundation. You’re welcome to take part in this and other parts of the programme.
Participants of the session, “Complimentary or contradictory? EU responses to crises in it’s broad neighbourhood,” will seek answers to question on:
- Are short-term security goals and long-term stabilisation and development efforts contradictory, or complementary to one another?
- Is the EU, in its current state, capable of achieving this goal?
- How successful have the efforts to reform such policies conclude?
- Can a mix of policies stabilise a neighbourhood troubled by polarization from regional and global powers as well as violent conflicts?
- How can we aim to seek a balance between security and development challenges in the context of new and emerging international threats – such as; mass migration, cyber security, and a crisis of trust towards the political elites?
Speakers of Debating Security Plus will include Elmar Brok, Chairman of the European Parliament Committee on Foreign Affairs; Amina C. Mohamed, Kenyan Minister of Foreign Affairs; Bert Koenders, Dutch Minister of Foreign Affairs; Camille Grand, Assistant Secretary General for Defence Investment, NATO; Fabrice Leggeri, Executive Director of the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (FRONTEX); Gilles De Kerchove, Counter-Terrorism Coordinator at the Council of the European Union; Julian King, European Commissioner for the Security Union; Kate Gilmore, Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights of the United Nations (OHCHR); Sigrid Kaag, United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon. The full list of participates is available HERE.
Full program can be found HERE.
The Casimir Pulaski Foundation is the only partner of Debating Security Plus from among the states of the Visegrad Group.